Frequently Asked Questions

We are confident you will enjoy many happy holidays in your Lodge. This is a holiday park and it is important you consider what that means. The following questions and answers explain the holiday use requirement.

Q. What can my Lodge be used for?

A. Lodges at our Park can be used for holiday purposes only. This means that your Lodge may not be your main residence. We will ask you about the address of your main residence and will continue to do so while you own the Lodge.

Q. Are pets allowed?

A. Domestic pets are allowed, dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and remain the responsibility of the owner and in the interest of their health and safety should not be left unsupervised for long periods of times.

Q. Does the lodge come with a warranty?

A. Your lodge will come with a Gold Shield 10-year warranty. It is provided and administered on behalf of the manufacturers and the NCC, the industry’s trade body. All appliances within the lodge will be covered with the standard manufacturers warranty terms (usually 2-4 years). It is the home owner’s responsibility to ensure that good care is taken of the home, including any general maintenance.

Q. What is a holiday?

A. A holiday is a period of recreation away from your main residence, during which no work is done.

Q. How long can a holiday be?

A. Individual circumstances may vary. As long as someone who is on holiday has their main residence elsewhere where they mainly live.

Q. How frequently can I have a holiday?

A. There is no limit to the number of holidays which can be taken in the Lodge provided that it is not used as someone’s only or main place of residence.

Q. Can I work locally, and my children go to local schools?

A. No, as commuting to work or school from this Park would be taken as strongly indicating the Lodge is being used as someone’s main residence.

Q. Can I register with the doctor locally?

A. Of course, people get ill on holiday and may use the local doctor as a temporary patient. It should not be necessary for someone with a main residence elsewhere to register with the doctor for holiday periods unless they have particular health requirements.

Q. I am retired. Can I use the Lodge all the time?

A. As long as you have a main residence address elsewhere you can holiday in your lodge.

Q. My main residence is overseas. Does this count?

A. Yes, but all the facts are relevant when deciding whether the overseas property or the Lodge is your main residence. These would include whether you own the overseas property or, if it is rented, then how long you have rented it for, how much time you spend in the Lodge and how much in the overseas property.

Q. Can I run a business from the Lodge?

A. Definitely not. This would not be consistent with holiday use. However, if someone wanted to keep in touch with their work or business whilst they are on holiday, for example, they could use a laptop, tablet or smartphone.

Q. Can I have post delivered to the park?

A. We do not facilitate this. If post is delivered as a matter of course, this would indicate the Lodge is being used as an only or main place of residence.

Q. Can I register for Council Tax in order to obtain Housing Benefit?

A. No. Business Rates and not Council Tax are charged for Lodges. Paying Council Tax or receiving Housing Benefit to pay the Pitch Fees would be taken as strongly indicating the Lodge is being used as a main residence.

Q. What happens if I break the holiday rule?

A. Your Licence Agreement with us contains your undertaking to comply with the holiday rule. If you broke that we would ask you to stop doing so. If you were to fail to comply, we would be entitled to terminate the Licence Agreement and to ask you to remove the Lodge. The planning authority might also take action against you for breach of the holiday rule.

Q. What happens if my circumstances change?

A. Your Licence Agreement does not allow the Lodge to be used as a main residence, even on a temporary basis.